Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ms Kamikaze in the News!

SPORTS SPOTLIGHT
Ms. Kamikaze is into soccer

Stephanie Camacho, seen here with her pet dog,  said playing football is one of the greatest things she had done. (Contributed photo) Sports runs in the family of female striker Stephanie Camacho so it's not surprising to see her play one.

Stephanie is the daughter of CNMI veteran golf and perennial winner Joe “Kamikaze” Camacho and a cousin of CNMI Men's National player Norman Camacho.

She is the goalkeeper of the Paire Football Club's girls' 18-and-under team, which took the championship in the 2000 NMIFA Youth Spring Football League. The younger Camacho is also part of the CNMI training pool, on which 20 players will be selected to represent the Commonwealth to the EAFF Women's Football Championship 2010 Semifinals Competition in Tainan City, Taiwan next month.

“The person who encouraged me to start playing was my cousin Norman Camacho, who is also a member of the men's national team. My mom was also a great influence, as she is always there for me, cheering for me during games,” the 14-year-old player said.

Like any first-timer of a sport, Camacho said she had a share of trying times when she was just beginning to play the game in 2007. However after two years, she is now doing well and is thankful for the sport's positive influence on her life.

“Most of my teammates always tell me that I have developed good goal keeping skills and become a good defender. However, there is always room for improvement, so I wish I could play as a forward and get over with my fear of playing that position,” Camacho said.

“One of the good things that football has done to me is once I step foot on the field and get my game going, I feel stress-free. Stress is not the kind of thing that you bring on the field, fun and a positive attitude are,” the Hopwood Junior High School graduate said.

The incoming Marianas High School freshman also liked the concept of being with a team and the opportunities that comes her way while playing football.

“Through football, I am able to meet a lot of new people. It's a great experience playing for Paire in the women's and youth leagues and at the same time making it to the CNMI training pool. It's a great opportunity for a young player like me to eventual play in an off-island tournament. Playing football is one of the greatest things I've ever done in my life,” Camacho said.

The young female striker is hoping more youth will join football or any other sport and when they do, she advised them be patient in their first few games or training sessions.

“If you really find a sport interesting, join a team. You will never know what opportunities will come your way when you started to get involved with it,” Camacho said.

“For future football players who may encounter difficulties in their game or at their practice, don't pressure yourself too much, have a positive attitude, and have fun. Fun is what makes a sport a great experience,” the Paire goalie said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well the name 'Kamikaze' is my dad's name. Lol